It was October 1995 that I saw my first client. She came to my home office in Massachusetts. My teacher and therapist at the time referred her to me. I had protested on the phone that I wasn’t ready. However, my teacher said that I was, so I leaned into her certainty. (Sometimes we have to lean into someone’s certainty!)
As my client sat down across from me and we began to speak, the feeling I had was one of knowing—not an intellectual knowing but a knowing from my Spirit that what I was doing right then—-the wisdom I shared in the form of guidance and counseling—resided in my Essence. I had found my dharma–my divine purpose.
Remembering this particular moment makes me smile all these years later. My work has evolved greatly since then but the core of it hasn’t. The core of the work I do is to mentor you to awaken to your own divine Self or deep Self—your Voice. And to release it into the world. It’s an ever-evolving process because there’s not just one expression but many over your lifetime.
What I know for sure all these years later!
1) You must slow down in order to awaken to your Essence. Slowing down happens in the present moment.
2) All of life occurs in the present moment. This is the place of power. I teach you how to see the present moment from a place of depth within yourself.
3) The purpose of our life is to bring the absolute or the divine into the relative, the earth plane. We here to be a self-expression of the Infinite. When you find your Voice this is what you do. It is where the vertical plane intersects with the horizontal place.
4) Your false self is made up of many beliefs that you’ve practiced and that you believe are necessary for your survival. The false self is false because it is separate from the vertical plane of your Essence. It is based in fear and completely identified with the personality. It has its own neural pathways and takes time to transform!
5) I wasn’t always able to stand behind my voice. It’s taken years of work and devotion. My memoir tells some of the early parts of my journey and the turning points. Women have been silenced intentionally and we absolutely need support to see the blind spots because they seem ‘normal’.
6) I work with women who have a strong desire to awaken to their deepest Self and to express that Self in the world!
7) The inner child is real. She is your history but also your Essence. As you do the work to release the false beliefs that hinder her experience of Love, you also bring her back into your heart and become more whole. This is a practice that is infinitely deep.
8) For anything new to be birthed from within you, something else must die. You have to be willing to go through this transformative process in order to awaken to your deep Self. You have to be willing to die to the old.
9) If you can’t change a feeling you are addicted to it!
10) You ARE what you are conscious of Being.
11) God is a circle whose center is everywhere and whose circumference is nowhere. Contemplate this.
12) Grief is essential to awakening, to opening your heart to Compassion.
13) Your Heart’s Desire is absolutely attainable. In fact, it MUST be. Only you can stop it from manifesting.
14) The evolution of our collective consciousness on planet Earth happens one person at a time. You are part of this evolution when you choose to consciously evolve.
15) Your Desire for relationship, for creativity, for success, for health—all of these desires that reside in your Heart provide a path for awakening to your deep Self and how to express it in the world. Desire is the beginning of all creation. Ego desire and heart desire are two entirely different things.
16) What you feel you are always dominates what you feel you would like to be; therefore, to be realized, your desire must be felt as a state that IS rather than a state that is not.
17) It’s human nature to focus on lack. When you awaken you learn the skills to turn this around. Every moment we have a choice about this. I teach many ways to master this choice.
18) You are made up of Light. This Light is Love. Literally.
19) Your Voice—the expression of the Infinite as YOU, is absolutely important for our world at this time.
20) You must seek in order to find. When you seek your own awakening, other aspects of life, such as seeking approval, must be let go. You can’t do both.
CLICK HERE to JOIN Nancy at Kripalu Center this fall Oct 6-9, 2019 for her Find Your Voice Spiritual Retreat for Women.
CLICK HERE to purchase Nancy’s memoir The Life That Woke Me Up Was My Own.